Wednesday, November 20, 2013

A Lazy Girl's Addiction... Wreaths

Yes, I know, I have a problem.  The only other craft post I've made on here was a wreath post too.  What can I say?  I love wreaths!  This will not be the last post you see on them.  In fact, maybe I should change the name of this blog to A Lazy Girl's Guide to Wreaths...  Hmmm, maybe.  At least then it would be easy to find things to blog about.  To be honest, I have plenty of projects to write about.  I just hate taking pictures (especially since I take such awful ones) so I end up not writing anything.  I'm going to have to work on that.  Maybe it's ok that my pictures are subpar for now?  Better to try than just give up, right?  Something to think about anyways.  But I digress. Back to the newest wreath.

I'm sure you've seen these all over Etsy and Pinterest, it's nothing new.  I had been seeing them forever and I absolutely loved them, but I'd never tried to make one.  The other night I decided to give it a whirl.  What the heck was I waiting for?!!!  So easy, so fun and I loved the finished product!  This is not going to be a step by step tutorial with awesome pictures to help.  Sorry.  I honestly thought about taking pictures and then I decided, nah, I'm too lazy.  :-)  So, here is the finished product and below are the quick and simple directions to making it.  I really don't feel like pictures are even necessary since it was so simple.


What I did-  The tutorials I've seen all say to use a wire hanger for the frame.  I didn't have a hanger, but I did have some wire laying around from another project.  I believe it was 14 gauge, but I'm honestly not sure.  When I make another one, I plan on trying a heavier gauge wire because even though this was a pretty thick wire, it drooped under the weight of the burlap.  I can't believe a coat hanger actually works for this without drooping, but I might try it too, just to see.  Anyways, I shaped the wire into a circle without closing up the ends.  Then, I simply took some burlap ribbon that I found in the floral section at Walmart and started to pleat it onto the wire (basically accordion folding it).  I scrunched it down as I went, twisted the 2 ends closed and that's it!  Told you it was simple.  I used 3 rolls of the burlap for this wreath, but you could definitely do it with less.  This one is pretty large.  I'm kind of a plain person so I chose to only add a bow at the top (I had no idea how easy it was to make bows like this!) and no other decorations, however, I plan on making quite a few of these to try and sell and I will be adding embellishments to them.  I will also be taking custom orders and trying to make some with a material other than burlap.  If you're the type who likes to buy instead of make, I'd love to have you order one (or two or ten) from me.  Email me at jamieaustin715@gmail.com and we can discuss a custom wreath.

So, I hope you like it.  And trust me, I'll be posting more terrible pictures of the others I make, so stay tuned!

Love ya like A Lazy Girl loves naps!  ;-)
Jamie

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jamie! I've found you via the twelveOeight linky party :)
    I adore your wreath and can't believe how easy it is to make. I'll be making one this afternoon and I'll come back with a link to show you. Thanks for the inspiration....Mimi...xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mimi! I can't wait to see how your wreath turns out!!!

      Delete
  2. Oh! I'm here if you want to stop by...
    http://atrayofbliss.blogspot.com.au/
    ...xxx

    ReplyDelete